Flashforge Adventurer 4 is with a leveling-free platform design and larger print volume than Adventurer 3; having a new slicer that could easily monitor and manage
The Flashforge Adventurer 4 is the showpiece for the Adventurer series of 3D printers from Flashforge.
It uses FDM print technology, has a construction space of 220mm x 200mm x 250 mm, and an adjustable detachable build plate.
It also has a spool holder that is integrated into the printer and can resume a print post power failure.
The printer is protected by an enclosure with an in-built air filter and is strong enough to withstand a drop from a height.
This 3D printer comes with a complete set of features that go with the hardware for a price of $799.
Yet, the machine’s firmware and software falls short of its potential. The FlashPrint application from Flashforge is not complete in many respects.
The Packed Box
The product comes shipped in a cube shaped box of 24 inches and weighs 38 kg or 83 lbs. The printer itself weighs 20.1 kg or 44.3 lbs. When compared to a printer with similar construction space such as the Creality Ender 3 Pro the Flashforge Adventurer 4 is twice as heavy.
Besides the printer, the following items come packing in the box:
- 1 Tube Joint for the Filament Guide
- 1 X1 Nozzle ( 0.4mm-265℃ )
- 1 Power Cord
- 1 Pin Tool for de-clogging
- 1 Screwdriver
- Allen Key set
- USB Memory Drive
- Card for Leveling
- 1 KG (2.2 lbs.) Filament of PLA
- Couple of metal shims( 0.05mm)
- Packet of oil
The USB Memory drive contains a soft copy of the user guide, numerous test 3D models (.stl file), print formats (.gx file) and the FlashPrint Slicer application from Flashforge.
The Flashforge Adventurer 4 from Flashforge has some excellent features as mentioned below:
- Variety of Extruder Options for Nozzle: The nozzle can fit with extruders in sizes of 0.3 to 0.6mm, capable of handling temperature between 240℃ to 265℃.
- Nozzle Designed for Instant Release: It takes only 3 seconds for nozzle to be released. The buckle shaped design is patented.
- Level-FREE system: No leveling or calibration of the platform required before printing.
- Detection of Filament Status: There is saving of filaments using the filament auto-detection feature, enhancing the print output.
- Adjustable Build Platform: The magnetic layer on this simple build platform ensures removal of models within seconds.
- 4.3” Printer Display with Touchscreen: Makes setting up and controlling the printer very easy.
- Print Resume Feature: This ensures the printing continues after pausing on power blackout.
- Remote Operation: Print by remote control using a Wi-Fi connection or Ethernet cable.
- Material Compatibility: The 3D printer can consume filaments of PLA, ABS, PETG, PC, PLA-CF and PETG-CF.
- Open Source Application for Slicing: Cura, Slic3r and the proprietary software from Flashforge, FlashPrint can be used for slicing of objects.
- Cloud based Printing: Control and Print using a multitude of 3d printers and print files using the free cloud solution.
- Integrated Camera: Using Flashprint, one can control the print process remotely.
- HEPA13 for Filtering of Air: This component removes odors and dust from the enclosure and environment very efficiently and thus can be used indoors.
- Save-Energy Mode: The printer hardly consumes 1 KWH of power when on overnight standby.
- Free PLA Filament: As part of the package, there is a 1kg (2.20 lbs.) filament spool of PLA One spool of PLA.
Highlights of Flashforge Adventurer 4
Following are the key features of the Flashforge Adventurer 4 from Flashforge:
a) Nozzle Design with Fast Heating and Detachment
Flashforge Adventurer 4 comes with a nozzle that can rapidly heat-up to 200°C in a minute. This allows for printing high-quality objects in less time.
Flashforge Adventurer 4 may be used with extruders of 0.3mm, 0.4mm, and 0.6mm with a temperature range of 240°C – 265°C at the most.
The design of the nozzle makes it easily detachable similar to the Adventurer 3 models. This allows one to dismantle and change in seconds by pressing the buckle.
The Flashforge Adventurer 4 meets many different 3D printing objectives without high maintenance costs.
b) 110 °C Adjustable System
Flashforge Adventurer 4 ensures higher success and exceptional print quality using a structure made of CNC mounted base. This sleek platform is made of an aluminum layer of 8.0mm thickness.
Twist the platform to easily knock down the models in seconds.back to menu ↑
c) High Build Capacity
If a 3D printer’s build space is giving one sleepless nights, then the Flashforge Adventurer 4 can put one at ease.
With a huge build space of 220mm 200m 250mm, the AdFlashforge venturer 4 can print massive 3D objects or small intricate models with finesse. This makes this printer twice as big as the Adventurer 3.
d) Compatible with Variety of Filament Materials
Flashforge Adventurer 4 has a normal 240°C extruder and a hotter extruder of 265°C. Thus the 3D printer can print using PLA, ABS, PETG, PC, PETG-CF, PLA-CF, and various other filament materials.
It can also use 3rd-party filaments such as ColorFabb, eSUN, and others, besides the Flashforge filament.
Functions that are Easy to Use
The following features of the Flashforge Adventurer 4 make it so much simpler to use.
a) Print Resume on Power Out
One can use the Print Resume function to restore printing from a power outage by hitting Yes when prompted.
b) Filament Spool of 2.2 Pounds
Flashforge Adventurer 4 comes with a regular 2.2 lbs. (1kg) spool of PLA filament. Also, an external bracket is not required to hold the spool.
c) Platform Free from Leveling
The Adventurer 4 platform requires no leveling. It includes the following features:
- The base mount is made of CNC crafted frame at the bottom
- Flatness of the platform is maintained using a sleek 8 mm build plate of aluminum
- Differential of flatness of entire system is not more than 0.15 mm;
- The first-layer prints beautifully and this can save a lot of time for adjustment.
d) Feature Rich Escort
Other important features of the Flashforge Adventurer 4 platform are described below:
- Print Resumes even after a power outage.
- Sensor that can detect low quantity of filament material.
- Integrated camera with HD is available for remote monitoring.
- Print by remote control using Ethernet cable or a Wi-Fi connection.
- Availability of efficient management and control over multiple 3D printer’s possible using FlashPrint application with cloud support.
- Handle print exceptions easily through the online remote control feature.
- Overnight standby feature with power intake of just 1 KWH ensures high energy saving.
3D Printer Application from Flashforge for Flashforge Adventurer 4
The Flashforge Adventurer 4 is suitable for a variety of training applications. These include learning to 3D Design and Print, K-12 education, DIY at Home, Prototype design, and low-scale production.
The features of this 3D printer meets all kinds of requirements expected from a 3D printer. Engineers from Tura Scandinavia AB for example created a Squid Game Mask employing the Flashforge Adventurer 4. They used PLA filament at 210°C.
Support from FlashPrint
The proprietary FlashPrint slicer application from Flashforge offers the following support for the Flashforge Adventurer 4:
- Online Control over Multiple Machines
- Preview of Slicing
- Custom Setting of Parameters
- Monitoring of Printing Process in Real-time
Let’s look at the print parameters of the Flashforge Adventurer 4:
- Number of Extruders : 1
- Diameter of Extruder : 0.4mm on installation, optional – 0.6/0.3mm
- Extruder Temperature : 265℃ as maximum, 240℃ as standard
- Platform Temperature : 110 ℃
- Speed of Printing : 10-150 mm/s
- Filament Types : PLA, ABS, PETF, PC, PLA-CF, PETG-CF
- Print Volume : 220mm 200mm 250mm
- Resolution of Layer : 0.1-0.4 mm
- Print Resolution : ±0.1 mm on a test print of 100mm cube
- Size of Machine : 500mm x 470mm x 540 mm
- Display Screen : 4.3-inch TouchScreen
- Power Input : AC100-240V/DC
- Power Output : 24V/13.3A
- Power Source : 320 W
Connectivity / Software Specifications
- Transmission of Data : Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB Drive, Cloud
- Application : Cura, Flashprint, Slic3r (requires setting)
- File Types : STL, 3MF, OBJ, BMP, FPP, JPG, PNG, JPEG
- Output File : GX/G
- Integrated Camera : Yes, 1 Camera
- Noise Level : ＜50dB
- Environment Temp. : 15-30 ℃
- Leveling : Not Required
- Resume of Power Out : Yes
- Remote monitoring : Yes using camera
- Filament Run-out : Sensor to detect and alert
- Air Filtration : NetHEPA 13
Applications of Flashforge Adventurer 4
Following are the situations where the Flashforge Adventurer 4 can be employed:
- Academics: This 3D printer can be used for 3D Design and Print learning and in the K-12 education field.
- At Home: For printing components by Hobbyists in their home environment.
- In the Workplace: Engineers and creators can print components for testing different model designs.
- Small Organization: Production of samples in limited quantity
The Flashforge Adventurer 4 from Flashforge is a well-built system no doubt. Its hardware specifications certainly merits the $799 sticker price.
Unfortunately, the FlashPrint implementation raises questions if it is ready for the market.
There are hardly any predefined profiles for testing by inexperienced users. Thus they will need to make their own from the start. Experienced users will be disappointed by the solitary profile supplied.
Furthermore, there are problems one can encounter while connecting to Wi-Fi or printing out the sample.
Both seemed like simple fixes that Flashforge should have spotted before release.
The function to resume printing a print object after a power failure is useful. More so for users worried about losing bigger prints, that take a long time to print.
Yet, there will be a defect on the resumed object because of loss of movement at the point the nozzle stopped.
The improved build volume and bigger spool holder are eclipsed by the software problems.
Flashforge should resolve these issues with updates to the software and firmware.
In comparison the Anycubic Vyper, delivers a greater build volume, and a quicker auto-leveling procedure. And costs less than half what the Flashforge Adventurer 4 costs.
If safety is a top issue, the Flashforge Adventurer 4’s enclosed design may be the decisive factor.